KYDEX is an acrylic-polyvinyl chloride composite engineered for
thermoforming fabrication, and combines properties of both the acrylic
and the polyvinyl chloride components. From acrylic, it obtains rigidity
and formability; from PVC, toughness, chemical resistance and good
interior finish ratings. Sheet thickness ranges from .028 to .375 and
can be thermoformed, post formed, brake formed and laminated.
- modulus of elasticity in flexure is 330,000 psi.
- parts formed from sheet will be rigid and will see moderate
deformation when loaded. This is of particular importance in deep formed
parts with thin wall sections.
- relatively hard thermoplastic, with a hardness of 90 on the Rockwell
R scale. This hardness, combined with a grained surface, increases its
- low flammability, UL 94 classification V-0
For some applications it is used as replacement for leather, where it has the following advantages:
- scratch resistant (Rockwell "R" hardness of 90)
- holds its shape better, and will not stretch or shrink under normal conditions
- lower friction.
***You may want a Kydex sheath or holster made specifically for your custom knives, axes, guns etc...
Here are some examples of my custom made sheathes -
KYDEX™ comes in a wide variety of colors, textures, patterns and
prints. Most of my sheathes are made with .08 Kydex and 1/4" rivets and Chicago screws.